Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back in the saddle again..............................






There is just never a good time for a mom to be sick!! I have been very fortunate to have been in good health for quite some time until last weekend. That sinus infection that I previously spoke of really got me down. I pushed myself pretty hard despite feeling not so great and I paid the price early last week. I went to work Monday and the first thing I did was make a dr.'s appt for Monday afternoon. I did go to the doctor but then still trying to be supermom I took Addi to gymnastics which is an equal amount of work for me. So Tues morning I tried to go to work but never made it. I had to bite the bullet and call in sick. I took the kiddos to school and came home and crashed. I slept virtually all day and Wednesday was as much of a repeat as I could duplicate although I had the kids with me that day so it was significantly less restful. I did bow out of church Wed evening and by Thursday I was on the mend. I went back to work and resumed my full duties at home as well. Mark was a trooper and hung in there but there just isn't anyone who can really fill mom's shoes. As I was cleaning the kitchen Thursday evening, Garrett came in and asked whether I could take care of his problem or if he had to wait another day since dad couldn't help him. Bottom line, everyone survived and the house was almost back to normal until I took Saturday off to go to Dallas with some girlfriends from work. That trip had been planned since before the holidays and I wasn't missing it for anything. So I left in the wee hours of the am to meet the girls for a ladies day. We had an absolute blast shopping, eating, and just enjoying good old-fashioned girl talk. What fun to get away. Mark again was a trooper and stuck it out alone since his parents couldn't come down for the day (they frequently come down when I have to work the weekend or be gone). He even managed to get Garrett signed up for t-ball. As always seems to happen when Mom leaves someone has to get sick. Addi came down with some vomiting midday, maybe related to her immunizations the day before, we're not sure. She ran a little fever and they used every towel and piece of linen we own but they stuck it out and I only received 3 phone calls with questions the whole day!! It was quite late when I arrived home but the house was still standing (although in a state of disarray) and the whole gang was bedded down peacefully. In his apparent lapse of memory of me never letting the children have dairy products immediately after an upset stomach, Mark gave Addi a big cup of warm milk before bed which curdled on her belly until she threw it all up on Mark and I's bed about 5:00 am this morning. Since then she's been like a dream and has had a great day. Just in case it was an actual bug, I stayed home and kept the kids out of church today, so we've just been getting the house cleaned and getting ready for another week. The weather has been very pleasant especially after last week's cold blast and provided a needed relief of being cooped up inside, which brings me to the latest boy development around here.

Friday one week ago my husband purchased a little toy for he and the boys, a Honda 50 dirt bike!! That's right, a full-fledged, real-deal, dirt-throwing motorcycle, and the boys couldn't be more excited. According to my husband, the motorcycle expert, it was the deal of a lifetime. As I have resolved myself that my boys and destined to learn to ride, I have shifted my focus to one of safety and am proud to report that the deal included helmets, riding clothes, boots, etc. Having purchased similar items as gifts for my hubby in the past, these are pricey items so it was great they were included in the deal. Mark has spent every free second of the past week working on the bike and the weather finally permitted the inaugural ride, following Dad's Riding Clinic. The boys, according to Mark, are naturals and I've tacked on some pics for you to see for yourselves.

We are settling into the spring semester and our activity load is soon to increase again as spring sports kick off. Addi is loving mom & me gymnastics, Mark & Logan pulled out their first pine-wood derby trophy this past Friday evening (see pic), and Mark and I are already anticipating weekends at the lake. We are ready for spring! I'm sure we have several more days of winter but each one is gradually getting longer which is nice. Until next time.............

No comments: