Monday, December 22, 2008

Pay attention or it will be gone before you know it.......

I have to remind myself of this several times a day as I feel like life is almost passing me by it's going so fast. We have been busy as usual, much like everyone else, but I have really tried to just enjoy the moments as they unfold. I really love the Christmas season and am one of "those people" who could listen to my Christmas music almost year round but certainly at least after Halloween. I love coming home to the mailbox each day in December to see what precious person has sent me a Christmas card (preferably a photo card) that day. I promptly open the promising cards and place them in a place of honor on our frig. I then make my way through the house making sure all our holiday decor is plugged in and lit up that I might enjoy every second of the display. I seem to find time to light my candles and turn on the music rather than the tv. I also love the "last" of each weekly obligation as we make our way toward the big day, the last AWANA, the last scout meeting, the last day of teaching my students, the last day of school, and tomorrow will be my last day of work before I leave for my parents. I love the tender appreciation that my children have for the fact that it's Baby Jesus birthday. Having recently celebrated their own birthdays, they seem to hold this distinction in high regard, even if they don't completely grasp the magnitude of what this means for us as sinners. I love the holiday services at church and the old carols along with the newer favorites. I love the lights on the houses and the squeals of joy that come from my precious Addi's mouth at even the simplest of displays. I love baking sweet treats and forcing them on my coworkers as we can't possibly eat everything that I seem to want to make. I love remembering the traditions of Christmas past and building new traditions with my own family. I can't wait to get the whole family together even though we always seems to pass some contagious illness around while we are there! I love blaring my Christmas music and having a marathon gift wrapping session topped off by decorating my freshly wrapped gifts with just the right ribbons and bows. Then I arrange the gifts under my tree just so and relish how very blessed I am to have such an abundance beyond what we need or deserve. I just love Christmas and I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am.

We will be traveling this week so we had our family Christmas last night which didn't disappoint. The kids were excited and Mark and I were pleased with our selections as we seemed to have made some good choices. You fellow parents can relate that it's even better to watch your children open their treasures that you were able to provide than to open your own gifts. Now lest you misunderstand, I do love getting gifts, but gone are the days of true surprises as I seem to be difficult to buy for, according to my hubby. Strange to me as I seem to have no trouble finding things I want at the mall and my various fave stores but anyhoo, we always seem to make the agreement that we aren't going to buy for each other and then I always find a few things for him and I am left either shopping for and wrapping my own gifts or settling for the precious things from the Piedmont Elem Christmas store purchased with love and my money by my children!

Now I know you are all done with this monologue and ready for pics but I must quit playing and get down to business. You see I have approximately 4 more loads of laundry to do before I can pack the 5 of us to leave town for 5 days, a now past Christmas celebration to clean up from, a dirty kitchen from baking, 12 more hrs at work, and a checkbook to balance in the next 24 hrs. So you will just have to wait until I can get those pics downloaded. If I don't post again, as there is a good chance that will happen, at least between now and after Christmas, may you have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments: