Thursday, September 27, 2007

A girl's getaway...







As many of you know, I took a long-anticipated trip to California last week and arrived home late this past Tuesday evening. My sister and I took off for a little girl time and traveled to Mountain View, CA, which is very near San Francisco. My sister's former roommate is doing some travel nursing there so we had free accommodations which was great and very economical (especially considering the price of everything out there). We flew out of OKC last Thursday morning and arrived home late Tuesday evening. Despite all our anxieties regarding the air travel, it went exceptionally well. KK (my kids name for my sis) prefers to keep one foot on the ground at all times and although I used to enjoy flying (before kids) this was the first time I have flown in almost 10 yrs which was prior to children and all the security changes since 9-11. We really couldn't have asked for better, except maybe 1st class seats, as all our planes were on time and we had smooth takeoff, flight, and landing each time. We covered some serious ground during our 4 full days in Cali. Pictured above are some of the sights we took in, including the Golden Gate Bridge, the ocean, the Harley Davidson shop (for my hubby of course), and many others including Muir Woods, Union Square, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, Coit Tower, Golden Gate Park, Lombard Street, Ghirardelly Square, and Alcatraz to name the highlights. We also drove the coast on Scenic Highway 1 with stops in Santa Cruz and Monteray. This was my 2nd trip to California as Mark and I flew there for a wedding many yrs ago. I think it was probably the most touristy place I've even been at least as far as the international draw of people. As Caucausian females we were definitely in the minority. I heard far more languages than I did English it seemed. All in all we had a great time but boy was I ready to come home. Seeing all that certainly provided me with one great appreciation for the way it is here. San Francisco was the most crowded and claustrophobic place I've ever been (I haven't traveled many places). I could have kissed the ground to be back amongst the wide-open spaces.
So I'm sure you're all dying to hear the continuation of the home saga and how my family fared while I was away. Well despite a few frantic phone calls, ok nervous calls, things went smoothly as far as I was aware. All my hard work and preparation paid off and although I have been assured I was missed, the day-to-day functions were accomplished. Once again I have to brag on my husband who did for the most part remember even the least important details that make the most important influence on a child's day. Addi and Garrett were certainly aware that I was gone but it was my oldest with the best concept of time that really felt the lengthiness of my time away and was the most clingly when I came back. As I've said before distance does bring a fresh appreciation for what we take for granted everyday.
Many thanks and kuddos to the grandparents who stepped in in my abscence to ease the burden of caring for a busy household and braving the rigors of the elementary school drop off and pick up and on and on. I certainly appreciate the help and the peace of mind I had while I was gone knowing that the only people who love my children as much as I do were in their midst and providing for their needs.
It is now Thursay afternoon and after a little over 24hrs since arriving home I almost have my home back in order. I return to work tomorrow and for the 1st time in almost 3 weeks since Mark and I's travels began we will try to regain some semblance of routine. Although I valued my time away it was hard for me to relax for one important reason and that is that my place is at home. It was fun to hang with the single girls but nothing can change the fact that I am a wife and mother first and foremost. Before I get too sentimental I should go as the work of my identity is calling... the ironing awaits and the school pickup routine starts in <1>

1 comment:

Denise said...

Sounds like a great trip! I sure do miss you girl! Hope you're doing great! BTW-I just tagged you for a middle name meme. Go to my blog to check it out!

LYMI,
Denise