Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The no-good, terrible, horrible, neverending, very long day...

Well my day today began around 1:00 am at which time the hospital called to inform me that there was an emergency surgery that would finish around 1:45 am and would need my services for recovery from anesthesia. I knew I was on call and had just had that 'feeling' that I would be getting a call so I wasn't really very surprised. I arrived back home around 4:45 am to find my entire household in my bed. For some reason I was wired and couldn't go back to sleep. Anything and everything on my plate kept running through my head. I did manage to go back to sleep about 1/2 hr before Mark woke me up to send me to my own bed as I had crashed on the couch. I again managed to return to sleep about 1/2 hr before I had to get up to get Garrett off to school. So at 8:00 I delivered Garrett to prek and Addi to daycare as I was supposed to be at work today. Logan came home from school yesterday with a 101 fever which hadn't resolved so I ended up staying home with him. After settling Logan on the couch with gatorade, a nest of blankets and pillows, and a movie, I proceeded to start my typical morning cleanup routine which seems to take me from one room to another without finishing the original task only to find more work to add to my to-do list for the day. After vaccuuming the wood blinds in my bedroom (see what I mean, did that really need to be done in my sleep-deprived state) and finishing some more practical housekeeping tasks I made a doctors appt for Logan and headed for the bed around 11:30 am. At 1:30 pm my alarm went off to get us to the doctor on time for our 2:00 pm appt. I had to wake Logan up as well and we made it promptly at 2:00 for what I would later find out was a 2:15 appt. At 2:50pm after a very long wait with a miserable febrile and very nervous 6 yr old and watching another family who had arrived 20 min after us but already gone back, I finally lost my cool and headed to the receptionist to see what the holdup was. That's when I learned that our appt was technically at 2:15, the same as theirs, (but what about the fact that we arrived 20 min before them?) Finally at 3:10 we made it to an exam room. At 3:20 we promptly saw the PA (Wed is our pediatricians day off, convenient!) The PA felt like considering the duration of Logan's illness process (going on a month now) and considering that he just finished antibiotics last week we should get a chest xray since he sounded coarse (important medical terminology) on his right side. Now being a nurse who uses important medical terminology I can tell you that calling lung sounds coarse is what you say when you're just not really sure whether there is an inappropriate sound in there or not. Anyway I was ok with the chest film because he has this terrible, lingering, junky cough that continues to produce nasty phlegm (is that how you spell that?) So around 3:40 we had a chest xray which Logan performed beautifully through, holding his breath at precisely the right moment. Then around 3:55 we were informed that the PA would also like bloodwork, so I prepared Logan for his 1st venipuncture which took place promptly around 4:05. Logan was a real trooper thanks to the "freeze spray" ( I've worked in pediatrics for 10 yrs and haven't seen this stuff, but it was COOL, literally!!) The spray either really relieved the pain from the stick or was so distracting that Logan didn't even know when it happened. He did awesome and at 4:15, 2hrs and 20 min after our journey began we were on our way to Sonic for a free ice cream with the coupon we earned at the doctor's office. Mind you our prescriptions were emailed?? or something to Walgreens and we will have the results of our bloodwork on Friday?? I don't know what that's about. I hope it's not serious!! Oh yeah, our diagnosis was mild pneumonia with instructions to be diligent with the prescribed antiobics, mucolytics, fluids, and rest, rest, rest. And so it goes that Mark and Garrett have gone to church for AWANA and Addi, Logan, and I are off to Walgreens to get our meds which weren't ready when Mark stopped by on his way home from work despite the ever-effecient emailing system of delivery. Tune in next time for the long-ago promised pics......

No comments: