Sunday, July 27, 2008

The long awaited diagnosis.....................














Well this isn't going to be an easy update for me but I want those who know and care about my family to know what's going on with us and more specifically with me. I've previously told you about my health concerns and the testing that came as a result. After an almost month-long wait and much anxiety I met with my neurologist last Friday. The short version is that the viral processes being considered have been ruled out which leaves us with a working diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Apparently there is no 100% definitive test for MS but a very high percentage of people with MS have a certain antibody present in their spinal fluid and that antibody is present in my spinal fluid. In addition to that, I have one sclerosis on my MRI's. So the neurologist says technically I don't quality for the diagnosis of (multiple) sclerosis as I don't yet have multiple lesions but all things point toward that so I should consider beginning treatment. While this was certainly not what I wanted to hear, it wasn't as big of a shock as I suppose it could have been since I had been told several weeks ago this was a likely diagnosis. Still, it's not real until you hear it for sure. As you might imagine this has brought about an overwhelming emotional response as well as the practical response of what now. I've been angry, sad, scared, anxious, you name it, I've experienced it these past 48 hrs. Ironically enough, stress is a trigger for causing/worsening MS symptoms, so how does one deal with it and minimize the associated stress? I guess that's what I must learn to do. I have done a fair amt of reading and am well-versed in the medical realm of MS. Now I face the reality of applying that to my life and making the decisions regarding treatment. So what is treatment you are asking? Well my neurologist considers himself aggressive and based on what I have learned, I think we will get along well. You see while there are several new treatments for MS that weren't available just a few years ago, they only slow and/or prevent the progression of the process. The medicines cannot restore function already lost or cure lesions already present in the brain/spinal cord. (Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune process where the body's own immune system attacks the healthy tissues of the brain/spinal cord, specifically the myelin sheath which protects the nerves that transmit impulses from your brain to your body.) So basically once the damage is done, there is no medicine at this time to make it better. Having said all that, it seems like a no brainer to me to get started with therapy ASAP. Despite that being my doc's recommendation he didn't think 5:00 on Friday afternoon after being hit with such a blow was the time for me to make a snap judgement. So I am to meet with him this week to set up a treatment plan. Meanwhile, my neurologist, while certainly qualified to treat me, is going to contact another neurologist here in OKC that treats only MS patients to see if he had any other suggestions or thoughts. It does seem that I am in the best hands possible. Back to what treatment is: treatment varies slightly but all are meds called interferons that mimic the immune system's good functions. They are given by injections, the one recommended to me is 3x/week. They do carry some risk of side effects, mostly flu-like symptoms, which supposedly are supposed to decrease in severity as your body adjusts to the medicine. There are of course other risks but apparently feeling overall crummy is the biggest thing for most people. So I am not excited about that but I am determined to do what I can to keep myself as healthy as possible. This is where the anger comes in sometimes when I think about all the people who don't take care of themselves and are just fine, when I consider myself a healthy person who works at it and this happened to me. At this time, doctors don't know what causes MS but have some ideas related to genetics, viruses, and other misc things. It is more common in women and in certain geographical areas farther away from the Equator. So now that you know more than the average person about MS, you have a piece of what I've been introduced to as the new state of the rest of my life. A little overwhelming isn't it?




So what has the rest of July encompassed for my brood? We did make it to Lake Murray for a few days and managed to have a good time despite the crowds and the 1st really HOT week of the summer. We came home a day early as we were laked out! We still had another day off work so Mark, Auntie KK, and I took the kiddos bowling, to a movie, and out to eat for a lazy family fun day. Good times were had by all, and best of all I beat my husband at bowling for the 1st time ever. He will tell you it was just b/c we had the bumpers out but hey winning is winning. I think Garrett came in 2nd if that tells you anything about how our game went, haha! After that it was back to work to try and make up for the lost days while I was laying flat on my back after the spinal tap. I can't remember if I told you but I did end up getting what is called a blood patch to cure my spinal headache. One of my dear anesthesiologist friends made time to place the patch via another needle in my spine, I'll spare you the details. Anyhoo, it fixed me right up and I've been good to go since. What a shame it took 6 days to find out I could have that done. Many thanks to my good doctor! With only a few weeks before school resumes we are trying to make the most of our remaining summer. The beginning of my treatment clouds the issue of our upcoming activities, not knowing how I am going to feel. So we will probably lay low and try to stay cool. I'm going to try and add some pics of our lake trip. Man it was hot. Funny how I've lived basically my whole life in OK and I manage to forget between summers just how hot it really gets here. Until next time......................

1 comment:

Christy McDonald said...

Hey sweet Traci, I am praying for you. I can only imagine the emotions you and your family are going through. I want you to know that I would love to help in any way I can. I am being serious. But right now I want you to know you are truly a strong, beautiful person. I love reading your blog and "catching up" with your life. You are such an amazing writer. Keep it up!

Christy