Monday, July 28, 2008

OK, so what does all that mean????????????????

I wish I knew!!!!! This is the question that I've heard over and over again since posting my blog yesterday. So here is my attempt to talk in non-medical lingo, bottom line-it so to speak. What MS does is destroy the insulation covering of nerves in the body which relay signals from the brain and spinal cord to the rest of the body. Once destroyed this covering cannot be regenerated and once lost the signals cannot be carried which results in places downstream not getting the instructions they need to feel normal. So what you are left with can show up as a variety of symptoms most commonly numbness, tingling, altered sensation, much like my original symptoms in my left hand, thumb, and 1st finger. Another primary symptom of MS is related specifically to the optic nerve (which carries b/w the brain and the eye to make you see). If that nerve covering becomes damaged or inflamed then it can translate to vision problems. The symptoms of MS vary widely from person to person in frequency and severity. It is considered a progressive, degenerative process which means that is usually gets gradually worse over a long time frame. Some cases are much more rapidly progressive than others but the majority of people fall into a category called relapsing-remitting MS which means that over time they have relapses where they suffer new symptoms which generally resolve completely. Then they go an undefined period of time feeling perfectly or very closely perfectly normal. MS does not carry the terrible prognosis that it did in years past as there have been several advances in treatment like I talked about which is targeted at prolonging the time b/w relapses or preventing them entirely. I will spare you all the more devastating symptoms that can be associated but are far less common. So what does this mean for me? It means that I will be taking medicine in the form of injections, much like people with diabetes take insulin shots, only mine will be 3x/wk rather than multiple times/day. It means that I have to take xtra care of myself to maintain good overall basic health. Some of the less serious but annoying issues are that heat can cause worsening of symptoms so being outside in OK on an August afternoon at the zoo probably isn't recommended, darn!! It means that I might get tired more easily than before and have some vague aches and pains. What it doesn't mean is that there is really anything that I can't do if I feel like it. It doesn't mean that my overall life span will be necessarily shorter than yours or anyone else who takes good care of themself. So it means that I could use all the love and support you have to give. Please don't be afraid to talk to me about it. I am still adjusting to the idea myself and while I know a lot, I don't really know how I am going to feel. What I've described above is based on what I've read from other people's experiences. After all, I've only officially been diagnosed for 72 hrs and I've only had symptoms for 3 mo. What I do know is that people live healthy, productive lives for decades with MS and you might just be surprised how many people you know or see each day that have it unbeknownst to you. So what I need is for you to be positive and remind me when the going gets tough just how much I have to live for in case I forget. I will tell you that as hard as it is to accept I know there is a plan in this beyond anything I can fathom b/c God is in control and He will see me through.

2 comments:

Kristin's Blog said...

You're in my prayers Traci...btw a trip to the zoo on an afternoon in August isn't a good idea for even the healthiest! Hang in there...you will over come this!

Trish said...

Traci,
I'm a friend of Cara and Andrew Moss...go to church with them. I was diagnosed 4 years ago. It sounds like you have decided to take Rebif...this is what I have been taking for a couple years. I originally was in a research study and taking Campath until the study was suspended. Your final comment about "God is in control" is so true. Overall, I have had a peace about this and think my family has a harder time than I do since they are in Illinois. Let me know if I can be of help. Blessings! Trish